Thursday, February 7, 2013

How is this healthy again?

There is a recipe currently going around Pinterest. I've seen it repinned at least 10 times now and every time I see it I think to myself: Is that really "healthy"? This is it. The pin says "When you need a healthy sweet: So good. Just five ingredients- coconut oil, cocoa powder, almond/peanut butter, honey, vanilla. 

I'm trying to lose weight and I like chocolate so a healthy chocolate SOUNDS great. But when I read the recipe it didn't really sound all that healthy. In fact, it didn't sound healthy at all. Coconut oil (fat), cocoa powder (ok, I guess), almond butter (fat and a little protein), honey (sugar) and vanilla (flavor). So.... fat, sugar and flavor. Then I thought, well is it better for me than a Reese's Cup because I love a Reese's Cup for a treat sometimes. So I entered the recipe into my favorite recipe site ( because they calculate the nutrition facts from the recipe. Here are the nutrition facts for this recipe. 

Calories 210.5 
  Calories from Fat 168     
Total Fat 18.7 g                  28%
  Saturated Fat 10.3 g          51%
Cholesterol 0.0 mg               0%
Sodium 29.3 mg                   1%
Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g   4%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g              11%   
Sugars 7.6 g                        30%
Protein 3.6 g                          

Compare that to the nutrition facts for a Reese's Cup.

Calories 80
  Calories from Fat 45
Total Fat 5.0g                             8%
 Saturated Fat 2.0g                  10%
 Trans Fat 0.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.0g
Cholesterol 5mg                        2%
Sodium 55mg                            2%
Total Carbohydrates 9.0g         3%
  Dietary Fiber 1.0g                   4%
  Sugars 8.0g
Protein 2.0g

So the healthy chocolate has 2.5X the calories and nearly 4X the fat (including 50% of the daily allowance of saturated fat) of the Reese's Cup? I'm not a dietitian or even really in to health and fitness but this one seems 100% bogus to me!